This educational effort and promotion are designed to inform you about preventing and treating flus and colds AND offer you a discount on a few supplements we think are effective for staying well or recovering fast.
Educate yourself by reading this handout, watching the video showing in our lobby on continuous loop, and perhaps even attending a Tuesday-night talk given by one of our practitioners.
The promotion includes a supplement sale. You can purchase any of the listed supplements below at a 15% discount through December 10th. We?re proud of the quality of our supplements. Our practitioners take great care in choosing them. Our offerings change from time to time as we seek out supplements that are less expensive for equal or better quality.
?Preventing Colds and Flus?
Two Tuesday Night Talks ? 6:30 to 8 pm
Limited space, so must sign up at desk, held next door at 3430 S. Grand Blvd.
October 27 ? Jari Serra, R.D. ? Nutritionist
November 17 ? Chris Valley, N.D. ? Naturopathic Physician
An Overview of Prevention
The only portals of entry for influenza viruses are the nostrils and mouth/throat. In a global epidemic of this nature, it’s almost impossible not coming into contact with H1N1 in spite of all precautions. Any contact with H1N1 is not so much of a problem as proliferation is (this means the duplication of the virus after it gets into the nose or throat. A few viruses in your nostrils or mouth/throat won?t hurt you, but when they multiply, you can become infected.
While you are still healthy and not showing any symptoms of H1N1 infection, some very simple steps, not fully highlighted in most official communications, can be practiced in order to prevent proliferation, aggravation of symptoms and development of secondary infections (instead of focusing on how to stock N95 or Tamiflu):
1. Frequent hand-washing (well highlighted in all official communications).
2. “Hands-off-the-face” approach. Resist all temptations to touch any part of face (unless you want to eat or bathe, and then wash your hands first).
3. Gargle twice a day with warm salt water (use Listerine if you don’t trust salt). H1N1 takes 2-3 days after initial infection in the throat/ nasal cavity to proliferate and show characteristic symptoms. Salt kills microorganisms. Simple gargling prevents proliferation. Don’t underestimate this simple, inexpensive and powerful preventative method. For prevention, dissolve 1/8 tsp. salt per cup of warm water and use for daily gargling. Swallow a small amount also in order to reach areas further down the throat. At first symptoms, increase salt to ? tsp. per cup of warm water.
4. Similar to 3 above, clean your nostrils at least once every day with warm salt water. You can do this by using a sinus irrigation pot (or Neti pot, available at Huckleberry?s in Spokane) or by just blowing and swabbing your nose. Once a day, blow your nose hard and swab both nostrils with cotton buds dipped in warm salt water. This is very effective in bringing down viral population. The Neti pot, or even a NeilMed squeeze bottle, can be used for a deeper cleansing. Allow some of the salt water to leak into the back of the throat. This will ensure that the area right where your nasal passage enter the roof of the back of the mouth is also cleaned, and this is a favorite proliferation site for viruses. Notice that a sore throat often starts with pain in this very area. For prevention, dissolve 1/8 tsp. salt per cup of warm water (preferably filtered or distilled since chlorine can irritate the nostrils) and use for daily irrigation. At first symptoms, increase salt to ? tsp. per cup of warm water.
5. Boost your natural immunity with foods that are rich in Vitamin C (Amla, citrus fruits, strawberries, broccoli, etc.) Take Vitamin C tablets.
6. Drink as much of healthy, warm liquids as you can. Teas and bone broth are especially good. Drinking warm liquids has the same effect as gargling, but in the reverse direction. They wash away proliferating viruses from the throat into the stomach where they cannot survive, proliferate or do any harm.
Supplements on Sale:
Vitamin C ? Any of the ones we carry are on sale. For prevention, take 1000 mg or 1 gram per day. At the first symptoms, take 1 to 2 g every two to four hours. If ill, continue this or push doses higher until hitting bowel tolerance (can cause loose stools or diarrhea). ?Vitamin C 1000 mg. Rose Hips 1 g? by Olympian Labs on sale for $7.40 for 100 tablets of 1000 mg. each. ?Vitamin C 1000? by Douglas Labs on sale for 7.30 for 100 tablets of 1000 mg. each. Hypoaller-C by Douglas Labs on sale for $15.80 for 100 tablets of 1000 mg. each.
Vitamin D 2000 I.U. by Carlson ? Recommended for all our patients as an ongoing supplement needed for a strong immune system, except if you have kidney stones or other calcium problems. Do not take vitamin D without consulting your doctor if you have stones or other any calcium imbalance. Vitamin D is also a key player in bone health and the prevention of depression. We recommend 4000 units per day, and you may need more if blood tests show you have low levels. 120 capsules are on sale for $7.48 and 360 capsules for $15.98.
Quercenase by Thorne ? This is a combination of quercitin and bromelain shown to be very effective in reducing risk of upper respiratory infection. For prevention, take 1-2 twice a day. At first symptoms, take 3-4 three times a day. On sale for $16.90 for 60 capsules of 250 mg. each.
Beta Glucan by Priority One ? This is a general immune system booster used for prevention and treatment. It stimulates macrophages, the cells that eat up debris, toxins and invaders. For prevention, take 1 per day. At first symptoms, take 1 three times a day. You could take as much as 3 at a time, three times a day, to help overcome a really bad cold or flu. On sale for 25 cents per capsule or $26.35 per bottle of 100 capsules.
Thymic Protein by ProBoost ? Like beta glucan, this is a general immune system booster. We use this mostly for treatment rather than prevention. At first symptoms, take 1 packet three times a day. Though they?re a bit expensive, we recommend purchasing 12 packets (we sell them by the packet or box of 30) and keeping them on hand so that at the very first symptom, you can start them and take 1 three times a day for four days. On sale for $1.95 per packet or $50.00 per box of 30.
Silver and Gold by Coherent Resources ? Should only be used for short periods, as this is a powerful antibiotic remedy (as well as antifungal), and it contains silver. At first sign of symptoms, ? to ? tsp 3-4x/day for 1 week. Please consult with us if you think you should take it for a longer period. On sale for $25 for 4 oz. liquid.
Thank you for reading this. We want you and your family to stay well. Please call, email or leave a handwritten message at the desk for whomever you wish, if you have questions about supplements or preventing colds and flus, that are not answered in our talks and handouts.
Please note: we are able to sell supplements recommended to our patients free of sales tax. We accept non-patients as our customers, but we must charge sales tax. Thank you!